What We Weigh!

We haven't been to the pediatrician in ages! SOOO, I guess we weigh about 24 pounds now...(May 10)

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Oh my ears...

For babies who had some lung problems at birth, the girls sure can scream when they want something. Namely food. Lily is by far the louder of the two and she is a frequent screamer. Last night they both actually slept in their carseats because nothing I did got them to settle down and it was approaching 3 a.m. and I hadn't gotten a wink of sleep! Today, Lily did her fair share of screaming too. I finally fed her both times and she guzzled that formula like it was the last thing on earth and she didn't want to miss a drop. She's having some hard to pass stool too, so that must be part of her crying. At least she is passing it though! Eve squirms and becomes "tomato face" all day and usually has a massive poopy later in the day. Yesterday's went up the front of her diaper and onto her outfit. She makes a royal mess, that one! And the other day, Lily peed on the home health aide's scale, and then proceeded to pee MORE when I moved her to the changing pad on the floor and she got her pee all over the floor too. And Eve pooped on her Grandma the other day, and today, PEED on her too. Isn't that nice of her? For some reason, babies seem to like to do their business when their diapers are open, half off, all the way off, or not quite sitting on them right so that the "business" can get out...

In other news: Both girls apparently do quite well with the Avent "natural" bottles. I guess they are supposed to be the closest bottles to breastfeeding, even though neither girl has actually DONE that. Figured they would be good to try, so we are glad Kevin and Colleen bought them! Thanks again guys!

I feel a little guilty because it looks like I'm not going to be pumping breast milk for Eve much longer. I just can't juggle everything. I did it this long, and she got benefits from it, I'm sure, but at this point I'm just about out of extra "umph" and feel this is what has to go. Some people would chide me for that, but it's a decision that I've thought long and hard about and if Lily is doing so well on formula, Eve can too. Something had to give and better this than my sanity! I still have a thread of that left!

For all you moms and dads out there, any suggestions for getting these gals to sleep on their backs in the crib? They seem to scream like mad women when you put them down in there, yet they slept for 6 hours this morning in their carseats?! I'm thinking of using those bed positioners, that give them a slight incline...what do you all think? I'd appreciate any advice!

5 comments:

Laura said...

I am moderator for the MOMO site and have been reading your site for a bit. Congratulations on making it to the next part of the journey- home life. I would not worry to much about forcing them to sleep on their back. Most preemies have some reflux and sleep much better inclined. My girls slept in the Fisher price Baby Papisan seats for the first monts. I would recommend looking for that option... sleeping in the carseat is a hard surface and can increase the risk of developing a flat head. Anyway... sounds like things are very busy, which is normal... but good.

Kate said...

Hi Laura! I think I know who you are from the site. Maybe we'll try to get two GOOD bouncy seats for them to sleep in then. Because at this rate, it has to be better that they DO sleep and don't waste all their calories yelling in bed...THanks!

Anonymous said...

Katie - do you need one or two good bouncy seats? Mike and I are coming to see everyone and visit his father the week of 8/15. I have been looking for something to send to you and would love to send you a bouncy seat or two if you need them. Just let me know.

Love,
Chris, Mike, Audrey, and David

Kate said...

Hey Chris and company! Thanks for stopping by! We were looking at the Baby Papisan bouncy seats because they are well-designed for little infants. (The pink ones they sell at Target, Wal-Mart, etc.) I think Fisher Price makes them. We were going to go out and get them soon...but if you were wanting to get them as a shower gift or something, we could hold off until then. Let me know...

Anonymous said...

If you already have the seats, I understand, I have been out of touch for so long. Please feel free to let me know what you need. I would love to get you something. My cell # is 336-416-9481.

Love,
Christina