What We Weigh!

We haven't been to the pediatrician in ages! SOOO, I guess we weigh about 24 pounds now...(May 10)

Friday, April 4, 2008

Developmental appointment

Well here I thought the girls were doing great! BUT the developmental people are "worried" and so we got a referral to early intervention. I didn't know there was a specific WAY in which the girls were supposed to be playing, versus just picking things up and moving and toying with them. But I guess there is! So when they focused on one toy, or when they held two but didn't care to "figure out" how to hold a third in front of them, they are considered behind for their adjusted age. Actual is 10 and a few weeks, so adjusted is 8 and a few, nearly 9 months.

Lily plays more, bangs things, slides them around, passes from hand to hand, but doesn't tend to hold one toy in each hand. Eve does much the same, but held things in both hands a little more. So Lily is further behind there, totally not how I figured it!

They aren't making enough sounds either, apparently. They make dada, baba, mama sounds, but no vowel sounds really. It's all so confusing. If they hadn't been NICU babies I doubt we'd even be doing this.

It remains to be seen whether early intervention will deem them eligible when they come evaluate them. We'll have to wait and see next week. Of course, I'm WORKING next week, go figure.

So yeh, they aren't as caught up as we thought they'd be and they want us back in 6 months at developmental. They didn't comment on head size or anything, so I'm guessing that is good to go seeing as they did measure them. And they didn't think they would be eligible for any physical therapy assistance, just possibly speech and play therapy. THANKFULLY, EI is at home, so I wouldn't have to lug them into an office for that. And hey, if they are eligible, perhaps I would have something to look forward to that would break the monotony of the week.

Anyone have EI experience that they can share?

2 comments:

Lala said...

I'm suprised they weren't in EI sooner. (not that they needed it but mine have been in it since home from the NICU) Don't worry too much about it and honestly I look forward to our EI appointments so I can see just how much the boys have grown developmentally. Our gal comes twice a month to our house. So the boys have the comfort of home and play with their toys. There is also a nurse that comes to our home once a month to weigh and check in on the boys. All is paid for by the state which is sweet! (After all the hospital bills I paid its about time we got something free! Wink)
Any Q's let me know and I'd be glad to answer!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate,
It's Jillian. How are you? I am an EI special educator. I usually start with the children when they are around 18 months but if you have any questions I would be happy to help. I know I'm in another county but it should basically be the same. You can either call me or email me if you have any questions.
PS - the girls are so cute. I have their christmas pic on my fridge!