What We Weigh!

We haven't been to the pediatrician in ages! SOOO, I guess we weigh about 24 pounds now...(May 10)

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Still no news on Lily, GREAT news on Eve

Well, they were supposed to do the last X-ray of Lily's intestinal system tonight at 9 p.m. and by tomorrow, hopefully, we'll have an answer as to why she isn't digesting feeds and not going to the bathroom. They gave her the barium this morning and in one of the early x-rays the tech noticed some "interesting, extra loops in her upper intestines, near her stomache." But they didn't tell us anything, it didn't appear they had any blocks or anything. She was jostled often throughout the day, so she didn't get picked up by Eric or I today, or really touched much either. We wanted to minimize her stimulation. The resident watching over her DID say they don't believe she has necrotizing enterocolitis, which is GREAT becuase that is nasty business. BUT, they admitted that Lily's problem has them all stumped at the moment. They even asked me about her cords, which one was hers because one looked a little compromised from the pictures they were looking at. But I told her I don't know whose cord was whose, all I knew was at all the ultrasounds they did cord flow dopplers and those always looked fine and none of the doctors seemed concerned about them. SO, yeh, we have no idea what's up with her. The poor kid was tuckered out today and she had some apnea spells because of her full tummy and being flat for the x-rays. She was doing a few stopping spells when Eric and I were watching her, only for 5 seconds or so, and they she would catch herself. But it's scary to see the monitor read "0" respiratory rate and the oxygen saturation dropping...

We got some AWESOME NEWS on Eve, however. The order was signed off on today to move her to the intermediate care nursery, or the step-down nursery! AHHHHH...that's a step closer to home! We attempted a bottle feed at 6 p.m., and she was pretty awake and sucked and swallowed a bit, but VERY little. Maybe 5-10 mL of her like...40ish. She had one episode of heart rate dropping, O2 saturation dropping etc, but I pulled the bottle out and sat her up a bit more and she brought herself back out of it pretty quickly. But she didn't get her o2 saturation to a satisfactory point after that and keep it there, so we gave up the bottle feed and gave her the rest through her tube. I ended up putting her back in because I thought she was being overstimulating. I DID get to change her poopy diaper! EEWWW. But still, it was a first for me! I hadn't changed her diaper before. And I learned how to wrap her up in the blanket and take her out of hte incubator myself. It was cool. I felt good picking her up myself for the first time. I really can't wait until Lily is better and I can do the same with her. I'm SO hoping that whatever was ailing her just went away and when they try a feed she'll digest it, poop, etc. All on her own. She'll just...do it. And we'll never know why she didn't, but it will be behind us and we'll move on and wonder but be thankful. That's what I'm praying for right now! I'll try to post some pics on the photo album too. i think there are few more there now than last time. But I'll post one here too of Eve eating.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: